Monday, March 2, 2015

Lost Lake: Indian Peaks Wilderness


There's nothing like a long hike up in the Indian Peaks Wilderness to clear you mind.  This past weekend I just needed to get away and for two and a half hours I was treated to one heck of a winter wonderland.

Just outside old town Eldora you'll find the Hessie trail head and this time of year the trail is covered in 4 to 5 feet of snow, prime for snowshoeing but this day I gave it a go with just my Keen snow boots.  The trail was nicely packed and snowshoes seemed to keep the other trail users pace down.

Travel along past the Hessie townsite through the narrow trails among the towering pines, dusting you from time to time with that champagne powder Colorado is so famous for.  At 2.19 miles you come to the Devils Thumb/Bypass trail marker.  Low on fuel I decided on the short hike up to Lost Lake.  At 2.63 miles the trail splits again with Lost Lake to the left.  The hike from here was a bit steeper through dense forest, it was amazing.  You'll finally reach Lost Lake after 2.89 miles.


The hike to Lost Lake is a mild climb but it does begin over 8500 feet and peaks at just over 9700 feet in elevation so be prepared.  It was an amazing day and I hope to make use of those campsites this winter.

Click here for the trail profile and I hope to see you on the trail.

Dirt Life


No comments:

Post a Comment